Career Opportunities Committee
|Fadil Santosa, Chair||Santosa@umn.edu||
Charge for the SIAM Career Opportunities Committee
The SIAM Career Opportunities Committee acts as an advisory committee to the Council and serves as a resource for current information regarding availability and demand for appropriately trained individuals in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science (AMCS).
Duties of the Career Opportunities Committee include:
- Develop and oversee resources related to career opportunities in AMCS including SIAM career brochures, Career Fairs, the SIAM Job Board, and presentation resources for SIAM members
- Organize mini symposia or workshops on careers in AMCS to encourage high school, undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral trainees, specifically including students and trainees from underrepresented minority groups, to choose a career in AMCS.
- Work with the SIAM Student Chapters and appropriate SIAM Committees (e.g., the Education and Industry Committees) to gather information about the current demand for and the suitability of the training in AMCS.
- Recommend a committee member or members to act as liaisons to other mathematical sciences societies' career opportunities efforts; for example, recommend the SIAM representative to the Joint Committee on Employment Opportunities to the CCA.
- Propose, advise and act as liaison with other SIAM programs or projects, including the definition of its objectives, resource needs and assessment of its effectiveness.
This shall be an eight-person committee, although additional people may be added if necessary. Three of the eight shall be ex-officio members: representatives from the Diversity, Education and Industry committees (normally the committee chair; but the chair may appoint another person to represent the committee). The other five members are appointed by the CCA. Of these five appointed members, one shall be designated as chair of the committee; one should be a student (or very recent graduate); two shall be early career professionals (within six years of obtaining their degree); and at least one of the early career professionals should be a postdoc. Appointments shall be for three years, although those representing students and postdocs may serve shorter terms when their status changes.1 All appointments must be SIAM members
This committee will conduct its business primarily via email and teleconference. The VP for Industry shall have oversight of this committee. This committee may be tasked by the VP for Industry or the Council to produce ad hoc reports or to initiate various activities within the scope of the committee.
1 Initially terms shall be staggered with one-, two-, and three-year appointments.
Professional Development Working Group
The Professional Development Working Group is appointed by the Chair of the Career Opportunities Committee to organize the Professional Development Evening at the SIAM Annual Meeting. The working group will consist of three (3) members, with three (3) year terms; the second-year member chairs the committee. Members of the working group do not need to be members of the Career Opportunities Committee.
|Sven Leyffer||January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2017|
|Roummel Marcia, Chair||January 1, 2016 - December 31, 2018|
|Vrushali Bokil||January 1, 2017 - December 31, 2019|