Math Matters Contest
SIAM invites student members to submit new ideas for the Math Matters, Apply It! series, which demonstrates the role of mathematics in our everyday lives — you could win cash prizes!
Check out examples of current Math Matters flyers at http://www.siam.org/careers/matters.php and then send us one or more submissions of your own. As you can see, submissions are no more than one page in length. See guidelines and rules of participation below.
Guidelines for participation:
Only student members of SIAM are eligible. Working alone or in a group, submit any number of entries, which must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Submissions must be in Microsoft Word 97 or newer and no longer than one side of an 8.5 x 11 page, single spaced.
- Include your name or the names of all those in your group, with one person designated as the main contact; SIAM student chapter name (if applicable); mailing address; and email.
- Follow the same text format as the examples of current Math Matters, Apply It! flyers at http://www.siam.org/careers/matters.php. You do not need to include artwork.
Each submission should include:
- Title – starting with “The math behind…”
- Technical terms used – list specific mathematical terms used in the subject area
- Math uses and applications – list a few uses and applications
- How it works – describe the process
- Interesting facts – provide a brief description of one interesting situation
- Please include URLs and citations from reliable sources for all supporting resources used to complete your submission. For this contest, Wikipedia is not considered a reliable source.
Submissions will be considered based on text alone. All submissions become the property of SIAM and may be used in future Math Matters, Apply It! flyers. If posted or published by SIAM, contributors will be cited.
Submission deadline: Friday, December 21, 2012
SIAM will award cash prizes for the top three submissions. The winners will be notified by January 21, 2013.
- First Place: $250
- Second Place: $150
- Third Place: $100
Submissions (or any questions) should be sent firstname.lastname@example.org.