Procedures and Roles
The Role of Selection Committee Chair
- The chair sets the rules, reminds members of their obligations, takes the votes. The chair is also a voting member of the selection committee.
- The chair ensures that confidentiality is maintained in order to facilitate a free and open discussion.
- The voting procedures are left to the discretion of the chair.
- The chair ensures that conflict of interest rules are followed [see http://www.siam.org/prizes/selection.php#conflict].
- The chair is responsible for providing a short report on the committee's deliberations that justifies the recommendation, as well as the citation and any other information needed for the certificate. This task can be delegated by the chair to another member, but the chair retains responsibility. These will be forwarded to the officers approving the recommendation.
- The chair keeps the SIAM office informed.
Role of Committee Members
- Committee members should be willing to pro-actively solicit nominations from other members of the scientific community.
- Committee members should share all information with the other committee members. It is the responsibility of each committee member to inform chair of any potential conflict of interest.
- Each committee member is responsible for providing a fair and informed vote. This requires the member to read the nomination packages assigned by the chair.
Role of SIAM Office
The SIAM HQ is generally responsible for administration procedures related to prizes. It will
- Promote the call for nominations.
- Maintain a prize calendar and ensure that calls for nomination, and formation and charging of prize committees is carried out in a timely manner.
- Open the call for nominations in late spring and publicize it with a poster inserted in SIAM News.
- Send a call for nominations out to other organizations (e.g., NA-Digest, AMS) as appropriate.
- Set the dates in consultation with the chair.
- Collect nominations.
- Make nomination packages available to committee.
- Collect the decision package from the committee chair (including justification) and forward it to the appropriate individual/body for approval.
- Inform the winner and arrange for the lecture, if there is a lecture associated with the prize.
- Arrange that any medals, certificates, or plaques (as appropriate for a given prize) are created.
- Prepare the prize brochure, press releases, and announcements for public dissemination.