- Member of SIAG
- Elected by the members of the SIAG (except for the first Chair of the SIAG who is appointed by the President of SIAM)
- Serve as the chief volunteer of the SIAG
- Partner with the Executive Director in achieving the SIAG's mission and goals
- Discusses issues confronting the SIAG with the Executive Director.
- Provide leadership to the SIAG
- Work with fellow officers and committees to plan for activities
- Organize the SIAG’s efforts by implementing the goals and delegating the duties required by the SIAG Rules of Procedure and the year's plans
- Serve as leader of the technical area that the SIAG represents
- Insure quality of conferences -- program director/organizer
- Insure cooperation with SIAM Annual Meeting (see “Responsibilities of SIAG Officers”)
- Insure promotion of technical area -- SIAM News articles
- Insure communication with members and community – Web, newsletter
- Appoint any special task forces or committees and chairpersons of committees/task forces, in consultation with other SIAG officers.
- Recommend members for prize selection committees to the SIAM President.
- Insure that any SIAG prizes are structured in keeping with SIAM prize policy
- Preside at the meetings of the SIAG. (SIAG business meeting is held during SIAG conferences.)
- Communicate with the Board of Trustees and Council on the goals and accomplishments of the SIAG
- Evaluate annually the performance of the SIAG in achieving its mission and make a report to the Board of Trustees and Council.
- Submit charter renewal petition every three years as required by the SIAG’s ROP
- Represent SIAG in overall SIAM structure
- Attend in person, participate via conference call, or send a representative to meeting of SIAG Chairs held in conjunction with SIAM Annual Meeting.