Start a Student Chapter of SIAM at Your College or University
Student chapters of SIAM are formed by one or more colleges or universities or any revelant academic department for the purpose of promoting a program of activities consistent with the stated objectives of SIAM:
- To further the application of mathematics to industry and science.
- To promote basic research in mathematics leading to new methods and techniques useful to industry and science.
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel.
Following the Board's approval of the petition, the organizers of the chapter prepare a set of Rules of Procedure, based on a draft supplied by SIAM. The draft is provided in a flexible format, so that the chapter may organize the procedures to meet its specific needs. Although the procedures do not provide for any specific professional activities, it is SIAM's intent to define meaningful student activities in applied mathematics and foster their development by the interaction and exchange of experience among SIAM Student Chapters.
SIAM has created a set of guidelines and forms that streamline the process. The following documents will allow you to get started today.
- Checklist for establishing a new chapter
- Petition for the Formation of a Student Chapter of SIAM (to be submitted to the SIAM Board of Trustees) [PDF, 10KB]
- Draft Rules of Procedure
- How members of your chapter can get free SIAM memberships
- Request for Funding [PDF, 40KB]
- Annual Final Report [PDF, 33KB]
Send updates on chapter information to Nancy Snell at email@example.com.