Chapter Activities and Collaborations
Sample Chapter Activities
Activities vary widely from chapter to chapter. Need some inspiration? Check out what some of your fellow chapters are up to, and decide what your chapter will do next!
- Attend and present papers at SIAM Annual and sectional meetings
- Participate in Student Days session at SIAM Annual Meeting
- Organize talks by students or faculty
- Organize team projects such as undergraduate competitions
- Enter the Mathematical Contest in Modeling
- Host social functions (lunches, dinners, award ceremonies, picnics)
- Tours of industrial laboratories
- Field trips to SIAM Section meetings
- Work with SIAM Sections to organize regional meetings
- Host interdisciplinary activities with other departments on campus
- Work with other SIAM Chapters to plan regional or national projects
- Present awards for Best Teaching Assistant, Best Course Performance, Most Active in Community, Best Graduate Research Paper, etc.
- Set up chapter website
- Set up listserv of chapter members
- Host student activity fair
- Mentor lunches (topic idea: training students need for industrial careers)
- Host Graduate Student Research Day for Master's and Ph.D. students to give talks on their projects, then award prizes for best papers at department-wide event
- Raise funds to award SIAM Graduate Professor of the Year (certificate and plaque)
- Maintain SIAM lounge with computers, furniture, telephone, and refrigerator to facilitate student interaction and collaboration
- Organize graduate student research seminar
- Organize undergraduate mini-conference
- Host research visitors and prospective graduate students, providing transportation and tours
Have specifics on an event you hosted or how you organized it? We want to hear them! We may even post here as a resource for other chapters. To submit activities for posting, please email SIAM. In the meantime, check out these sample chapter activities, submitted by chapter representatives who attended the 2018 SIAM Annual Meeting in Portland, OR, U.S.
Communicating with Other Chapters
Keep those collaborations coming! Stay in touch with your fellow chapter officers and faculty advisers.
Officers: Subscribe to the mailing list, contact current officers, and view prior list postings. Learn more.
Advisers: Subscribe to the mailing list, contact current advisers, and view prior list postings. Learn more.
Student Chapters Facebook Group: Request to Join
SIAM Blog: Read it Now
Get Social with SIAM